Saturday, November 24, 2018

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from the New Release

6:06 AM

GamblingSites.com
Gwent: The Witcher Card Game – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from the New Release

Just a few weeks ago, I’m sure many of you familiar with Gwent were anxiously awaiting the full release of Gwent: The Witcher Card Game out of beta mode.

I know I was, and I even wrote a post about whether the game had the potential to surpass Hearthstone. So, has the full release met expectations?

Many people have gotten the chance to dig their heels into the game by now and really get a good sense of the mechanics, designs, and playthrough of the new full version of the game.

However, if you’re like me, you’re finding the full version of the game leaves something to be desired – especially having been a player on a PS4 console!

A few days ahead of the launch, I had gotten myself cozy for what I thought would be one of the last rounds of the beta version of Gwent I could enjoy, just to get an error message when I tried to sign into the Gwent platform using my PlayStation.

The error message said something along the lines of the beta version of the game being in a temporary maintenance state ahead of the full launch, and I was unable to sign in, view my cards, or anything. No access whatsoever.

It got even more frustrating because I had followed the news of the full release of the game closely and knew there would be no support for non-PC players until at least early December.

At this point, I knew I was going to be out of luck to play Gwent for a few days ahead of the full release, so I sat back, found a book, updated my tablet in hopes that it would be able to support the PC version of Gwent, and waited.

I was already a little annoyed, as very little had been communicated by CD Projekt Red in terms of what would happen regarding the switch. I didn’t know whether my cards I had earned and crafted in beta mode would be ported through.

Nor did I know if the game would go into beta mode on PS4 and other consoles while waiting until December for the console release.

Ultimately, it left me baffled and at the whim of the developer’s mercy while waiting, waiting, and waiting some more for the release and with no other realistic options but to either wait for the PS4 release or go ahead and switch onto the PC platform.

Ahead of the release, I decided that when the updated console version was available, I would switch over to PS4, but in the meantime, I would get a feel for the game on PC.

I ended up none too impressed, as you’ll see from my initial review below.

The Good

Before I dig deeper and spill the beans on what I don’t like about the release, let me list out some of the positives.

Thronebreaker is available and gives some options for expanded gameplay. You have the option to buy introductory card keys at a discount to start building a decent deck.

There are new cards and some new segments of audio included to freshen up gameplay. Korean and a few other languages have been added, so international players can have better options for play.

The new animation sequences and interactive fraction leaders are also interesting but could use some serious refinement.

Let me say this, though. The look and feel of the game has changed considerably, and there ARE some positives. Overall, though, the good is far outweighed by the bad and the downright ugly.

The Bad

It has become IMPOSSIBLE to actually build a quality deck and get enjoyment out of the game without shelling out some serious money.

I prefer to play on PS4, so if I make the investment into the game on PC, I am going to be out of luck if I ever do try to migrate my account back to the PS4/Sony platform.

Not only does this leave me in the lurch in the immediate term until December, but it also makes me question if I’m going to continue with this game.

Honestly, after my immediate impression of the full version, I seriously doubt if I can justify spending over a hundred bucks for what essentially amounts to loot boxes without any guarantee of getting gold, rare, or powerful cards.

The Ugly

Dude. The deck of cards you start with here absolutely stinks, so the chances of you matching up against an opponent and winning to earn new card keys without shelling out cash are abysmal.

Gameplay on the Surface tablet has also been poor.

The initial start screen at the beginning of a match lags horrifically and displays unfinished developer’s strings – how the heck did the developers give the okay to release a game this raw?

Another big issue is that the power and point balance against high-ranking gold cards and average silver or bronze cards here is INSANE.

The handful of bronze cards you have to start with here just doesn’t stand a chance. It doesn’t matter how good your skills are because you will be crushed simply on point/power overkill from virtually any opponent.

I had not played the PC version previously, but I have heard rumors that people who had played the beta version may be able to port their old cards over to the new version and mill them, so there may be some hope for these players yet.

For some players, I am sure the new features have added more value to their experience, but I have not yet played Thronebreaker, as I can’t justify spending the 30 USD on it after my experience playing Homecoming.

Honestly, the entire gameplay leaves me scratching my head, wondering just how the game was released in such a rough state.

I have no problems spending money on a beta version of a game, knowing it is in beta mode, but when a game is presented as being the full version and is still so rough, there’s just no way.

At this point, I’m disappointed enough that I have given up playing Gwent on the PC version entirely for now.

When the PS4 version is released, I’m planning on signing in and seeing if I can potentially port my unopened kegs, scrap, and meteorite powder over – if I can actually get some traction with these, I might start playing again. Might.

With another month of development time for Xbox One and PS4 development, some of the animations and transitions may be smoothed out to give the game a more polished look. But if things are the same then as they are now for PC, I won’t even bother reinvesting time or money into the game.

Unfortunately, it looks like the old Gwent is gone for good, and if you were a player like me, we definitely got left holding the short end of the stick.

Final Thoughts

My recommendation: Red Dead Redemption 2, anyone?

But seriously, if you are really in the mood for another card game, Hearthstone looks to remain as the largest competitor in the esports arena and has support for iPhone or Android users to play from their mobile devices.

At this time, it does not seem as if the developers have mobile play in mind for Gwent, so you’d better get comfy – ‘cause you won’t be moving far away from the TV or PC if you go the Gwent route.

In short, I’m really disappointed since the avenue for expanding Gwent into a major esport would have been there with mobile device support, more polishing, and smoother transitions from public beta to full release for seasoned players.

But as it stands now, your best bet might be to look at other options.

Gwent definitely had the potential to become a popular esport, and maybe it still does.

Even if that never happens, though, I can at least console myself by playing other major esports, watching the big tournaments, and using my favorite esports betting sites to try to make some money.

The post Gwent: The Witcher Card Game – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from the New Release appeared first on GamblingSites.com.

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.